Hello my lovelies!!!
For my second Simple Sew blog post, I decided to make the Juliette Tie Back Blouse. This is a pattern I’ve been eyeing up for a while, as I love the tie detail and it looks like a really simple to make. I’m trying to choose my makes with my wardrobe in mind, and I definitely have a gap in my separates, especially items that I can wear on an evening out. I thought that this pattern, if made up in the right fabric, could fit that bill!
Prior to this make, we had the wonderful news that Doughtys were going to sponsoring us and supplying us with fabric for us to make our chosen pattern! I think that is incredibly generous and I’m so pleased as I’ve heard so many good things about them!
Once I had my pattern picked out, I went to Doughtys online store to have a look through their amazing range of fabrics, and I have to say it took me a couple of days to choose as everything looked so lovely! (I may have also mentally earmarked a few pieces for me to purchase at a later date…). I ended up choosing a satin backed crepe in a gorgeous purple, as I really wanted some drape for this garment. I traced out the Juliette pattern which was simple enough as there are only a few pieces, although I did get a little confused with the sizing – they only give finished garment measurements and going by the sizes on that, the closest to my measurements is the XS! I have never been an XS in anything in my life, so I was interested to see how this came up. I washed my fabric as soon as it came through the door!! I have to say, this is the only area I had issues with my fabric, but I think that was more my fault. I think I should have put the fabric on a more gentle washing cycle, or perhaps finished the edges off first, as when it came out, the satin side had pulled quite a bit so I decided to use the crepe side instead. I’m still super happy with this outcome though! This blouse really is beginner friendly!
The instructions are super simple and it came together really quickly. You literally sew up the ties, then the shoulder seams, and the side/arm seams – catching the ties in the middle. Again, really beginner friendly!
I did use the satin side of the fabric for the ties, and I really like that contrast. The only other issue I had was the neckline. I attached the facing (which I had interfaced) and I couldn’t comfortably get it over my head! So I re-sewed the neck to make it bigger, which was great, however I just wasn’t getting on with the facing. In hindsight, I don’t really think I needed to interface it as it made it a bit too stiff and it just wanted to stand up outside the blouse like some Disney villains cape!! So I unpicked it all and just got rid of the facing! I then just turned the neck hem over and stitched it that way and it was soo much better. It does mean that the neck hole is now even wider but luckily its not too wide!
I really like this blouse, I love how it fits (and the XS does fit!!!) and the way the material gathers at the back when you tie it. For me, I would only ever make this in a really drapey fabric, as I think anything with too much structure wouldn’t sit right on me. But I would definitely make this again! And a huge thank you to Doughtys for the fabric, I love it!