Hello again! I’m back with another blog post to show off my new Lapwing trousers. This pattern would make a great first trouser pattern. They are a loose fit so that would be one less thing to worry about. The Lapwing trousers are a casual trouser that have a drawstring waist. If you would like to follow a tutorial to make these you can read this one written by the Wardrobe Architect.
One of my first makes was a pair of loose drawstring linen trousers and I literally wore them out! Nothing to do with my stitching but the fabric between my thighs got very threadbare! Does that happen with anyone else? I chose this pattern to replace my much-missed trousers.
I was very lucky to receive some fabric from Rainbow Fabrics and I chose the Dogtooth Aran Irish Linen. I was very tempted by their cupro fabric as they are famous for it and I want to know what all the fuss is about! But I really wanted my linen trousers back, so the linen won this time around. Maybe next time cupro!
I very much want to be able to wear these trousers to work. Some people choose to use the Lapwings as PJ bottoms, and they would be perfect for that. I changed the pattern a bit to make them a little less pajama-ey.
The first thing I did was to add some extra pockets to the back. I used a patch pocket, the pattern from my first and original trousers! I added these before sewing up anything else.
Other things I did was to under stitch the side pockets to the seam allowance. This prevents the inside of the pocket from flipping out.
I also added elastic to the waist for a little extra security. If you are doing this make sure there are no twists in the elastic. I had to cut away this lovely stitching as I had a half twist in the elastic!
I also wanted to make my own matching drawstring. This was very easy. I cut two strips of fabric 66cm (26″) by 5cm (2.5″) and joined them together to make one very long strip. I pressed the seam allowance in the middle open. I then pressed the entire length of the drawstring in half to get the middle line. I opened and then folded each long edge to the middle and pressed.
I then folded the whole thing in half to be left with one very long, skinny strip.\
Finally, I edge-stitched the whole strip on both sides. I used my ‘stitch in the ditch’ sewing machine foot to do this. I just position the blade on the edge of my fabric and nudge my needle over a couple of millimetres and just stitch away.
To neaten everything off I folded the ends in, stitched them down and cut away the excess thready mess. You could knot the ends if you wish.
I’m really pleased with my new, comfy trousers. I’m optimistic that these will get a lot of wear, particularly in the summer as these are so light and breezy!