Fayeraysews’ #sewthisischristmas Bardot dress

Sam #sewthisischristmas, Bardot dress sleeve hack, Fabric Godmother fabrics, Pattern Review 0 Comments

It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and party season is upon us. For the Simple Sew #sewthisischristmas I wanted to make a classic Christmas dress (think Judy Garland in “Meet me in St Louis”), so I picked the Bardot dress pattern.

I made a size 8, but found the bodice to be particularly petite. I always make my usual bodice adjustments (lengthen 1.5” (4 cm) and 0.5” (1.2 cm) broad shoulder adjustment) to the traced pattern pieces, then make a toile, but this time I found I needed some extra length. In the end, I lengthened the bodice by 2.75” (7 cm) and the skirt by 5” (12.7 cm).

I hacked the sleeve pattern pieces to make them look like gift bows. I did this by slashing and spreading the short sleeve piece by 0.75” (2 cm), and adding seam allowance to the upper edge. I cut two pairs of sleeve pieces and sewed them together as a tube to create a self lining. I then made two small fabric tubes from two 3.5” (9 cm) squares of fabric (1.5 cm seam allowance) and sewed them into a loop, then threaded them onto the sleeves to make the “bows”.

Although the pattern recommends lightweight fabrics, the fabric I chose was a classic red prestige crepe from Fabric Godmother, which they have in a wide range of colours. The quality of the fabric is wonderful and it has the perfect drape and handle for this pattern.

I also fully lined the dress in a matching polyester liquid satin. To do this, I added 1.5cm seam allowances to the upper edge of the bodice front and back (the top edge is drafted to be finished with bias binding, so no seam allowances are included). I made the lining as instructed for the outer fabric, but without the sleeve pieces. The lining was attached to the outer by sewing them right sides together along the upper edge of the bodice and along the sleeve seams just inside the seam allowance, then clipped the seam allowance in the corners before turning right side out. I understitched the lining as far as I could to stop it from rolling out when wearing the dress. I hand stitched the hem because I prefer my stitches to be invisible from the right side.

The dress feels very luxurious; it has already had its first outing to an awards event, and I’m sure it will see a few more fancy occasions over the festive period.

There have been quite a few Bardot dresses made previously by Simple Sew bloggers, so I knew it would be a winner. There is lots of fabric inspiration available for the pattern, and I’m already trying to find an excuse to make another!

See you next time!

– Faye

If party dresses are on your ‘to make list’ Fabric Godmother have a gorgeous range of Prestige crepe in 22 colours – yes that’s 22! We’ve highlighted just a small selection below – Wine, Teal, Silver and Amerthyst – all of which would make a stunning Bardot dress.

To see the full sizing details and fabric requirements for the Bardot dress see the back of the pattern envelope below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.