Hello! Today I’m going to chat about my Sophia top and skirt set, and talk you through how I made a v-neck back adjustment. So if you’re interested, read on!
I used some very snazzy paisley cotton from FC Fabric Studio, which was in a lovely deep burgundy colour. I thought that the fabric would work very nicely for the summer… especially with a tan!
I made the top first, and found that there were lots of notches, so that was very handy for putting it together! The neck and armhole facings were also very easy to construct and attach, but I did find it a little bit unclear as to whether the interfaced section of the armhole facing was meant to be towards the front or back. Overall, the top came together very quickly, so it would be the perfect pattern if you need something to wear that night! The grown on sleeves add a very cute look and make the construction far more simple, because it means that you don’t need to spend time trying to ease a sleeve into an armhole! You do need to spend a but more time pressing the shoulder seams though, because their curved shape makes it a little more fiddly, but once you have it nice and crisp, it gives a lovely flattering look to your shoulder. I decided before cutting out that I wanted to include a v-neck on the back of the top, to give it more of a going-out look. Here’s how I did it:
1) Fold down the top edge of the back bodice piece (the side that goes on the fold) into a little triangle and pin. The more it’s folded, the wider the v-neck will be, so keep that in mind! I changed my back bodice piece so that it would have a seam down the middle – I found that this helped me to make sure that the point of the v was central, but it’s also completely fine to cut it on the fold.
2) Cut out the back bodice and take the pattern piece off of the fabric. Unfold the back bodice so that it is facing right side up, and pin some bias binding along the raw edge of the V.
3) Attach the bias binding as normal, making sure to press it to the inside, rolling the seam slightly towards the inside so that the binding won’t show when you’re wearing it.
4) Topstitch. This isn’t a totally necessary step, but I chose to topstitch my binding using a contrasting thread to really emphasise the v-neck!
The Sophia skirt is lovely and long, so is perfect to keep you cool on a hot summer’s day! The skirt came together very quickly too, and the box pleats add a really interesting detail, while also giving the skirt more movement. I did find that the pattern piece was a bit confusing when it came to the pleats, but once I had a good look at the instructions, it was explained very well!
Harriet blogs at https://hobblinghandmades.com/