Lizzie B’s Cocoon Dress

admin Doughtys Fabric, Pattern Review 0 Comments

Hi everyone!

 

I’ve been sewing again and this time I’ve made the Simple Sew Cocoon Dress. It’s such a lovely, easy make as it only has a few pattern pieces and NO CLOSURES – winning! As the name suggests, the dress is a cocoon shape, it has a v-neck, pockets and the option for long or short sleeves.


I chose to make view B, with the short sleeves and I cut out the size 6.

I’m so pleased with it! This GORGEOUS fabric was very kindly gifted to me by Doughty’s and it’s the Sevenberry Japanese Linen Look Cotton in ‘ForestForest’. I cannot get over how beautiful the colour of this fabric is and Doughty’s have lots of other beautiful colours too.

I chose this pattern and fabric combination with my honeymoon in mind because I’m headed to India next year and it is going to be HOT. This dress is going to be perfect for the trip because the fabric is breathable, the dress is loose fitting, my shoulders will be protected from the sun and I think it ticks the modesty box as well. I want to make more in all of the beautiful jewel colours of the Sevenberry linen look cotton!  

So, I’ll tell you a bit about the sewing process. I didn’t need to make ANY adjustments to the fit, which makes be unbelievably happy. The instructions didn’t call for this, but I under-stitched the neck facing to the seam allowance to keep it in place. The pattern calls for bias binding to finish the sleeves but I didn’t have any and didn’t have enough fabric to make any so decided to hem the sleeves by turning the fabric under by 1cm twice and stitched it in place. This seems to have worked just fine!


The only minor trouble I had when sewing is that I sewed the side seams with a 1.5cm seam allowance and inserted the in-seam pockets with a 0.5cm seam allowance, which means that they don’t seem to lie totally flush. This may be that I haven’t managed to press it all into place quite right but I might do the pockets with a 1.5cm seam allowance too next time.


After cutting out, the sewing process only took 2.5 hours, which includes unpicking the pockets as I sewed them to the wrong side of the fabric first time round. So this one really is a super simple sew!! I am SO pleased with it and I definitely want to make another version in a drapey fabric, which will give a totally different look.

Thanks for reading and happy sewing!

 

More of me:

Instagram: @lizzie_.b

YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/lizzieb

Blog: www.lizziebblog.com

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.