The Urban Seamstress’s Nicole Dress

admin Pattern Review, Tips & Tricks 0 Comments

Sew, my second make as a blogger for Simple Sew is the Nicole Dress.

I liked the denim look that Simple Sew had made it in but as I have just finished making a blue denim dress I wanted to try a different look, and I had plans for a pattern hack.

I love a dress with pockets, maybe its because I am a photographer I need some where to put bits!

 

So I had a rummage through my fabric stash to see what I could make it in as I am on a mission to sew my stash this year. I have way to much fabric, not to be called a fabric collector now and although its great insulation for my home, I feel I need to free my pretties and get making beautiful things with them. I am going to write a post about my mission towards zero waste fashion at a later date – watch this blog for details.

These pretties were the finalists

My fabric choices for the Nicole dress by Simple Sew

But in the end I choose a pink stretch denim that my friend Rebecca of http://www.livingabstracts.com (check out her brilliant Instagram Course) gave me and the red floral cotton from http://www.fabricland.co.uk for the facing and pocket contrast.

As the fabric had a stretch to it I decided to make it a pull on dress, with big pockets – ideal for long haul flights as I have a couple coming up this year. Also I decided to make it a maxi dress which I am rather fond of for traveling when you are going from a cool climate to a hot one.

laying out the pattern for the Nicole dress

Here you can see how I decided to extend the length, and my cute new fabric donut weights from http://www.ohsewquaint.co.uk

I liked the fact that the pattern had some shaping to it even though it was a relaxed fit.

Trying to minimise waste – I often cutout 2 different patterns from the same fabric. Loving my donut weights.

Cutting facing for the Nicole Dress

 

Cutting interfacing

 

Time to make up the facing, by stitching the front to the back. I used a light weight interfacing as the facing was a light weight cotton.
     

I then joined it at the shoulder seams

I clipped the edges of the curves around the next before I turned it over

Making the darts: I put a pin through from the bust point to the other side of the fabric and then marked it with a pin.

  

 

Normally I would have put a tacking stitch in but this worked as a quick fix.

 

 

 

 

 


I started stitching the dart from the armhole and ended it by tying it off at the end.

I tried different designs for the pockets

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And here she is Nicole in all her glory

I love this dress and would recommend the pattern, its quick to make and versatile. This version in stretch denim is perfect for the spring. I am going to make a mini one is cotton for later in the summer…watch this space.

Klarke blogs at http://www.urbanseamstress.com/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *