This month I chose to make the Keira Skirt. It is a short pleated skirt that is fully lined.
The skirt is very short, so I chose to lengthen mine by about 6 inches. This was really straightforward, as both the lining piece and the main skirt piece are pretty straight at the sides.
I really like the inverted box pleat at the front, I think it is a great way to add extra volume at the hem whilst minimising volume around the tummy.
I also like that it comes with a separate lining piece, so that the lining fabric has less volume than the outer skirt. It’s perfect for this time of year as it can be worn with tights. I don’t know whether it’s my baby brain or the pattern, but once I had put the pleats in the lining it was much smaller than the outer skirt pieces. I just unpicked them and made them smaller so that it fit. I ended up with 2 x 6cm pleats in both front and back.
The fabric I used was a spotty baby corduroy from Abakhan’s.
fabric/dressmaking/denim- drill-cord/mini-polka-dot- baby-cord-fabric-1-brown- 110cm.html)
It’s an easy fabric to work with and is the perfect weight for this skirt, giving the pleats enough structure so that it holds its shape. It’s not got much of a pile so I treated it just like a normal cotton twill in terms of sewing and pressing.
I’m really happy with how this turned out, I’d like to do a wool one next!