My latest make for https://www.
This dress can be made in jersey or woven and I chose woven, as I decide I wanted to make a statement with the sleeves. I have this amazing fabric in my stash from Crafty Sewer Its silk, cut into small pieces and stitched in rows on to the base fabric. I love it but was struggling to find the right pattern for it but this one was perfect. Here the link to it on Simple Sew Patterns Website – Raglan Dress
I bought the black crepe from Fabrics Galore
I love the zero waste challenge when cutting out so had a few goes at positioning the pattern pieces
Next up was to mark the darts, first I pinned, then used chalk pen to drawn them on the fabric before I tacked them.
Drawing the darts, they do look a lot wonkier than they actually were in this photo!
Here I have tacked the darts – sorry for the poor photo, black is really hard to photograph!!
Bust and front of dress darts tacked.
Cutting the sleeves out was a slow process as the silk chiffon was not that easy to work with as it was really mobile. I found it easier when I used my weights and silk pins (longer and thinner than normal ones)
I then pinned the sleeves together…and I can’t wait to see what it looks like so ….
Had to pin it on my dummy Flossie to have a sneak peek, does anyone else do that?
Only stitched at the shoulders
So back off Flossie and now time to cut the facing for the neck. I used a light weight interfacing and joined the 2 parts to make a circle.
Next I pinned the sides from hem to cuff and pinned the facing around the neck (leave the facing off if you are using jersey material)
Back on to Flossie and I am really happy with how its looking…in need of a good press now
I left the fabric to drop over night before I pinned the hem.
Here she is, rather hard to photograph, so used my selfie stick for the first time!
I took out the darts on the front and back as the fabric hung better that way and I think it needs to be taken in a bit, but am really happy with it.
Klarke blogs at http://www.urbanseamstress.com/